Sunday, April 20, 2008

When I Grow Up...

You know the phrase, "When I grow up I want to be..."? Well, I have been thinking about that saying a bit today and realized that even at my age, I still don't know what I want to 'be'.

When I was young I wanted to be a veterinarian. I love animals. Over summer vacation I would write reports on different breeds of dog just for fun. I know more about the different breeds of dogs than any non-vet should.

Then I found out that to become a vet, you needed to actually have a clue about math and science. Instead of working through my hang-ups with those subjects, I decided to give up that particular goal.

I toyed with the idea of being a nurse, but after spending a summer as a physical therapy assistant at a convalescent center and seeing what the lower-rung-of-the-ladder nurses have to clean up, I changed my mind. I did like working with the people, so occasionally I reconsider the health field.

I decided at one point to get my college degree in English. Then when I had to learn Portuguese and realized that I actually don't know English I changed my mind again. I still blow the verbs in Portuguese simply because I don't remember all the tense rules in English.

I considered getting an art degree--I like to paint and sculpt and draw. But honestly, I am horrible at self-promotion. I would never be able to make a living being an artist because I would never charge enough for my work thinking that no one would pay me what I am worth.

I do like the idea of writing for a living, but I know how difficult that is to make any money on too. The difference there though is that I would have an editor to fix my contractions, and hopefully an agent to help with my contracts. I do sometimes fall into the 'not quite good enough' self-pity move when writing, like with my art, but I like the creativity and bringing characters to life. Maybe I could write stories and do the illustrations or covers. That way I could do both.

In two years my youngest kids will be in school. That is where I am looking right now. I know how fast two years goes, and I really want to have a clue about what to do with myself when I don't have the 24/7 responsibility with staying home all day with little ones.

Truth be told, I have the job I want right now. Being a stay-at-home mom isn't glamorous and can be thankless, but it is rewarding when your kids excel at being human.

I always planned on continuing my education when my kids went to school. I just thought that by now I would know what to study, what to aim for, what to major in.

Maybe I'll just be a perpetual junior in college. (I already have my Associates Degree from a Jr. College). Take a whole bunch of classes, expand my knowledge moving from 'Barney & Friends' to Beethoven & French Impressionism.

And just along those lines, but off the subject a bit--I know a guy who actually grew up to be a train engineer. And one who grew up to be a fireman. Those are careers that you always hear little boys say they want when they grow up, and I am so darn impressed that I actually know some who really did. You might even say I envy them. They knew what they wanted, and they did it.

When I grow up...I want to be happy with how I turned out. I want to know that I make more people smile than frown, and I want to be the kind of person that people are glad to know. I don't know if there is a college degree in that, or even a college course, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't take a stitch of math to do, so I'm in. :)

1 comment:

Aimee said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! All except the math thing. I actually like math. I think it has something to do with the slight case of OCD I have. Math is neat and orderly.

I still kick around the idea of going back to school, but to do what? I am fairly certin there is no degree in laundry sorting or nagging kids. Besides, all the things that bring me joy in my life are things here in my home and things I have learned outside of a formal education. (For example, I love knitting. I learned that from one class and several library books.) I know we are supposed to get all the education we can, just in case. But, like you, I am happy doing just what I am doing right now.