Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April Fool's Day

Today would have been the 17th wedding anniversary of my sister if they hadn't gotten divorced. Not a big deal except that I have been contemplating the date for some time and wondered how many people actually get married on this day, and if they do, how many marriages last. I mean, if it is a fool's day, are you getting married on this date to be silly or to fool everyone who thought you'd never end up together? Or maybe it was the only available day for the caterer for the month of April because no one wanted that date. Or maybe you picked that date on a dare.I would think that regardless of the reasons, being married on this date would be to bring some laughs and chuckles every anniversary. Right?Granted, my sister's marriage didn't last--but her 2nd marriage is still going strong, and I have no idea what her anniversary date is for that one. It just didn't stick in my head. When one elopes to Reno, you would think it would trump an April 1st wedding. It does in some ways--she is married with 5 kids now--and in others it doesn't, unless you count having a nice normal wedding anniversary date instead of one that sticks out.All that said, when above mentioned sister's marriage ended, I started wondering about my own marriage.April Fool's Day is a silly, lighthearted day to get married.My husband and I got married on Friday the 13th.Seriously.So when a happy day in April doesn't help out the longevity of a marriage, I worried about the fates when we thumbed our noses at any jinx that might occur when my husband and I picked a Friday the 13th. This will be our 17th wedding anniversary later this year. And we have 7 kids. 2 dogs. 1 cat. And 1 mouse (if you read my other post we had 3 mice as of last week, but they are quickly meeting their demise--not because of the cat however...)Some days with that craziness I'm thinking the jinxes are working well--for example:Maybe if I had married on the 12th instead I would get to take an entire shower without two 4 year-olds and a 3 year-old unlocking my door and coming in to complain about something, or show me something, or be generally annoying when all I really want is five minutes to get clean. Alone.Or maybe if I had married on the 14th I would not have all the kids be quiet and calm until the second I am talking on the phone when all heck breaks loose and someone is sure they are going to die unless I get them a corn dog.Maybe if I married on any other day than Friday the 13th I would not have such a crazy life...okay, I'm sure that if I had married on any other day my life would probably be the exact same, but what if it wasn't?If I think about it that way, I suppose I am glad I married on the date I did. I can't imagine life without chaos. If that is what marrying on Friday the 13th brought me, I welcome it.Most of the time. :)

No comments: