Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day Six

Okay. I'm pushing it today in getting this blog posted...I have just over an hour before it is Day Seven. But at least I'm getting it done.

As I was going about my busy day today--driving everywhere, coaching a soccer game, etc. I started thinking about romance and what it means to me.

It all started when I was rushing into the grocery store to get 'Magic Erasers' for our cleaning frenzy today, and walked past a movie poster advertising the movie 'P.S. I Love You'. I admit I have not seen that movie--I know the premise and I tend to avoid the sad romantic comedies like the plague--but what struck me was the great photography. I believed that the man in the photo really loved the woman. He had that 'look' about him.



Of course, it could just be that I think Gerrard Butler is easy on the eyes in general..but that is beside the point. :)

Then I was thinking about how the ladies in my neighborhood are getting together in a couple of weeks to see the movie '27 Dresses'...it was going to be a church thing, but the rules of that are that if we show a movie in a church capacity we have to show a movie that was actually made by the church. I'm not totally opposed to watching 'Johnny Lingo', but I just don't see a big turnout for that one. So it is a neighborhood activity now. :)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make on that one is that although being an 8 cow wife is all well and good--and truthfully, Johnny DOES seem to gaze lovingly at his wife...he sees who she really is--it seems like we all want something more.

I don't see my husband look at me that way. I just don't. But I hear people tell me all the time how much he talks about me to them and how they can tell how much he cares about me.

Now, it would be nice to get the occasional gaze. I won't lie about that. But when I think about what my husband does for me, it is worth not getting the gaze.

I think that a lot of people don't feel that way though. A lot of marriages and relationships go a bit awry when the woman or the man feels like they aren't getting enough attention. They don't look at what they have, but at what others show. Like the gaze in the movie poster. That is a public display. Most women I know would love it if their husbands were as attentive as the poster seems to imply--but in reality, if that poster were real life Gerrard would be leaning over the smiling Hillary Swank and whispering "What's for dinner? Do we have any snacks?"

So don't just look at the surface. Don't look at what the world portrays as ideal in a relationship. If you look a little deeper and see what your significant other does for you--the little things that happen daily that you probably take for granted--then I am quite sure that we are all getting more 'gaze' than we realize.

And that is a good thing.

No comments: