Friday, February 29, 2008

The 29th of February

Since today is the 29th of February--it is a leap year, doncha know?--I thought to myself that I should take advantage of the extra day and write a blog today. I won't have opportunity to write a blog on the 29th of February for four more years. (Which is probably good news to anyone who actually reads my posts, now that I think about it....)

Today is Brandon H's "10th" birthday. I went to high school with Brandon. I thought having a birthday on the 29th would be really neat. He could have a birthday on the 28th of Feb. AND the 1st of March and still be right. And look...instead of turning 40 like everyone else in our graduating class (Go Wildcats), he gets to turn 10. There are serious bonuses to having an odd birthday like today.

Getting married on this date wouldn't be quite as smart, since most men I know would figure they only have to celebrate their anniversary once every four years. Of course, that could be detrimental too because they would be lax in remembering the date and would probably forget the anniversary completely thinking that it wasn't a leap year that year.

I'm probably not being fair to the men out there, but this is what I do.

The jury on dying on this date is still out. I mean, seriously...dying in general isn't something you really look forward to, so what does the date matter? It just ingrains in all those still living who might have cared about you, which date you died. Easier to remember in that sense. But as most of you are aware, my side of the family remembers weird things like death dates. We don't need an easier time of it to remember. (For example, I still remember that my pet bird that Cindy killed--thanks for that, by the way Cindy--died on Feb. 2nd 26 years ago. Why do I remember that? Because I got it for my 14th birthday and it died on Groundhog's Day...if it had been Feb. 3 I wouldn't remember the date. And no, I have no idea why I'm letting this psychosis out in the open. We're insane. What can I say?)

February 29th would be a good day for:
First kisses
A day without the children whining
Chocolate
Playing with puppies--and giving them back to their owners
and
Winning the lottery

Who am I kidding? We don't need the 29th of February for those things. I'd like those things on any given day...well, except that first one. I don't think my husband would like be going out looking for a first kiss from someone else...

So I suppose the 29th is good for balancing out the calendar and helping some people put off their true age if lucky enough to be born on this day.

And apparently it is also good for letting me practice rambling skills. And it is a skill, like anything else.

Happy last day of February.

(edited to fix the date of death of my bird--which should show that I'm not as fixated on the death dates as my family, but in reality just shows my blatant lack of simple math skills--thanks for pointing that out Cindy...now I can hold a grudge about that over you--and I'll remember the date)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

We seriously have to find a way to publish these. They are so funny.

Cindy said...

Oh, come on, De. 36 years is a little long to hold a grudge, doncha think? Besides, I was only 6 at the time. How was I supposed to know that sleeping with a bird is a really bad idea?

Cindy said...

Okay, just did the math. It wasn't 36 years ago. It was 26 years ago. Guess you have 10 more years that you can hold a grudge about it. :)