Saturday, March 15, 2008

You Know You're Old When...

Okay, I know we've all realized that I am not getting any younger. And since I turned 40 a couple of months ago I've done my best to ignore that number. But seriously...there are things that happen naturally in the world that just slam home the fact that I am getting old(er). (parenthases added for my well-being and psyche)

For example:

Baggers, cashiers, Dominoes pizza delivery guys, and refrigerator repair men all calling me "Ma'am". Ouch. I know it is cliche` of me, but ma'am? It sounds old. I know I'm too old to be called "Miss", and "Lady" is just goofy. In all honesty I would rather be called "Hey You" than "Ma'am".

Another big example is when I realized that my doctor and my dentist are younger than I am. I took Kady to her physical for track and the doctor asked her if she thought her parents were old. Kady laughed and very politically correctly said "No", and my age then came up...the doctor said he was sure I was older than him and I said, "Unfortunately, I am positive I am older than you." I told him my age and he shrugged and admitted he is just 36.
Doctors are supposed to be old men. Now my daughter thinks they are old men, but I am four years older than they are.

(The good news there is that he thought I was younger than his 36, so I guess I will take that as a good thing--I'm still not happy about all of these realizations about my age lately, but I'll take the slight compliment wherever I can get it).

Another thing is that this past week my Uncle John passed away unexpectedly. Someone asked me if he was old and I said "No, he's only about...." and then I stopped talking. In my mind he was about 40. Then I realized that it is ME who is 40 now and he was closer to 70. He will always seem 40 to me. And if my Uncle is 40, I can't possibly be that old. Right?

(On a side note totally off subject, but needed at this juncture: Uncle John was a genuinely nice guy to me and my siblings. And although we didn't see much of him after he retired and moved out of this valley I will always remember him for his Chuck-A-Rama lunches that always ended with the biggest dessert of strawberry shortcake I have ever seen...We will all miss him and my sincere condolences go out to his wife and children and to my mom and Aunt).

So to sum up, I really don't mind being 40. What I mind is being reminded that I am 40. If I could avoid that part and continue on with my ignorant bliss of thinking I am younger than I am, I would be a happy gal.

And then maybe I wouldn't have the sudden urge to deck the next guy who smiles brightly and says to me, "Have a nice day, Ma'am".

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Ma'am isn't as bad to me after living in the South. Kids are taught to call everyone "Sir" and "Ma'am." So I would have people older than me calling me that. Really did throw me for a loop at first though. :)

Jamie said...

Try hitting 60. and 65. When you get letters saying..you are going to be 65! Like that's a good thing and thank you, I don't need to be reminded. Sad that I feel 40 and you think 40 is old. Ah well.