Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Voting Day

Today is Election Day. I have already done my civic duty and voted this morning. Some Republican, some Democrat.

One thing always sticks out for me when I vote... I never study the judges enough to have a clue as to whether I think they should stay in or be voted out. I tell myself every year when I leave the polling booth that "next time you will read those over better and go in with an idea of who shouldn't be there anymore."

I don't ever, ever listen to myself.

All I remember is that most of them seemed to have pretty high ratings.

And I feel a bit silly hearing the beep of the voting station as I just hurry through and click 'yes' on all of the judges. It seems to shout out that I am not very informed and am just having a really good time pushing the screen button.

Another thing I re-learn at election time is that I wish I had a better head for politics. I have a few convictions. I am not good at voicing political opinions I have. I wonder if I practice that if I would get better, or if I would still know that somewhere back in my brain I have a fantastic rebuttal to something someone has just said...but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what that rebuttal would be. I have a tendency to mix metaphors and juxtapose stories so that instead of two really good points, I make one half-baked crazy sauce point.

I'd be really good at making points for the opposing team. Whichever team that may be at the moment.

I would love to be able to hold up my end of a political conversation. I would love to sound as informed as Glenn Beck--love him or hate him, the man knows his stuff and he loves his country.

Plus he disses Joy Behar which is fun to hear. [She is a bitter woman. How can she stand to be that unhappy all the time?]

Doug would like to be involved in politics. He would be fantastic at anything like that. When he mentions it, I try so very hard to keep it all about him and not swing it my direction..i.e. "I can't be a _____'s wife. People will ask me questions. I will have to have my brain working faster than my tongue--which has never happened in my entire life. I will have to look composed and "with it"...crap."

I guess I should just start my 2011 resolutions now...1. Study the issues and get an opinion set enough that you can vocalize it in a social situation, but not be so stuck on it that you can't understand both sides. (I didn't say agree with both sides--just understand them).

It is a darn good thing people are told to avoid talking religion and politics in social situations. Maybe I will be okay...

I also need to start listening to myself. If I don't, I might miss out on hearing myself say something really awesome in 2011. That would be sad.

Go vote.

God Bless America. :)

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I do the same thing with the judges. But I always justify it by telling myself that if I haven't heard any controversy about one of the judges' judgments that they are probably okay. But every year I tell myself that I'll study them better the next time, but never do. Maybe one of these times I'll do it.