Monday, March 23, 2009

Positive Talents

I have decided that I would like to dedicate just one blog entry on things I think I do well. I keep writing blogs about my bad habits and keep admitting to things that normal people would try to keep to themselves...like my previous post on how great I am at procrastinating.

I don't count procrastination as a talent. Although I do procrastinate better than probably 95% of the population, I was thinking more along the lines of talking about things I am good at that are a positive thing.

This could be a very short blog. Maybe I'll add pictures to make it more interesting....

[5 minutes later...I'm still trying to come up with something....]

Okay, I guess I should put down my stand-by "Artist" talent. I don't work on that as much as I should, so the quality isn't what I think it could be...but I do like to draw.
This is a drawing I did of Max a few years ago..a dog that belonged to a friend of a friend...long story...
Right now my big daily art project is to draw in Sharpie a picture on my kids' paper lunch sacks. I'm not sure if they are enjoying the artwork, but it does give them a unique lunch sack. I've drawn two different things each morning since school started in September. I got tired of coming up with new scenes, so at the moment I'm going through the alphabet and drawing animals that begin with the letter of the day.

Let me just tell you that if I were to ever discover a new species of animal I would probably name it something that begins with the letter 'X', and rhymes with 'orange'. X because really the only decent animal out there is the Xoloitzcuintli--or Mexican Hairless Dog. And the orange rhyme is just because nothing rhymes with orange.

This is the Xolo...not very attractive is he?:

[Another 5 minutes later...Why are lists of my negative qualities so much easier to come up with?]

Okay. I'm a fairly decent athlete. I'm better when I'm not carrying an extra 20 pounds, but I enjoy sports. I like it that I can still (20 pounds too heavy and more grey hair than I want to admit) take a soccer ball and school young punks. I can still have a man goal keeper run out at me thinking I'm an easy pick, casually slide the ball around his hulking form, and leave him on the ground while I put the ball neatly in the back of the net at an outdoor co-ed soccer game.

I can bake a mean pie. (which doesn't help the shedding of those extra 20 pounds, but brings happiness to everyone enjoying said pie)


I like to write. Not sure how great I am at it, but I enjoy it so I'll count that as something I can do.


I sing really well to the car radio. Not so much on my own, but imitating other singers is fun for me. Probably has to do with my sadistic liking of mocking people...which I probably shouldn't have mentioned in a blog I'm trying to keep to positive things I do well....

[Another 5 minutes later....this is getting depressing....]
I'll stop now before I hurt myself.
The photos made it look like a longer post anyway, so that's something.
So now you can all say that yes, I have positive talents. Everyone does. And to stay with a bit of a trend here, I found this quote that made me feel a little better:
Talent counts thirty percent; appearance counts seventy. - Chinese proverb
So I'll take that and go about my life with 30% talent, and will appear to have more. :)
Works for me.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I kept waiting for someone to post how funny you are. That's a talent that I have always enjoyed of yours.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

WOW! That's an incredible drawing of Max. And girlfriend - the best talent you have is making the rest of us feel better about just being who we are. And you usually make me laugh, too. So that's good. :)

I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not concur on it. I regard as precise post. Expressly the appellation attracted me to read the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.