Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Science Fair Projects

It is the time of year that I'm not really thrilled about. Time when your (my) child hands you a paper from their teacher that they have had shoved in the bottom of their backpack for over a month that states that said child is expected to participate in the school science fair.

Now, if they had given me the paper when the teacher expected them to, it wouldn't be such a problem.

And if my husband wasn't a science guy/Biology major, it would still be okay because I could figure out a really quick and easy project for them to do--at this point going solely for credit and NOT to make a run for winning any prizes.

Last year the brilliant plan was to buy a bunch of baby mice, 2 cages for comparison, and feed one group regular mouse food and the other group sugared cereal. The plan sounded easy enough, but the mice in the cereal group ended up not being all that healthy to begin with and thus lost weight (which was not really what we were going for here).

And to top it off, once the project was over we were stuck with pet mice.

This year, my daughters chose their own project.

No animals involved, which was nice.

They decided to do a sleep deprivation project. The plan was to stay awake for 3 days and 2 nights, doing various activities such as a reading comprehension test at the beginning, middle, and end of the project; physical activities at those same times to judge coordination and stamina, etc.

This project started Sunday night.

They took at 4 hour nap in the middle of the first night.

Last night--night #2--...after I explained to them that 4 hours of sleeping does not a sleep deprivation case make...they fell asleep for another 4 hours.

Now, I am not going to stay up all night to help them stay awake just so they actually complete the project.

And 4 hours of sleep is actually normal some nights.

So now, after all that effort I am terrified that my husband is going to load the kids up in the car and take them out to purchase more items for a different project. Items with legs and hair and that breathe.

I know....maybe I can talk them into studying why a person can't leave their blog text colors alone....:)

In the mean time, I have 3 daughters and one of their friends who have had 8 hours of sleep in the last 48 or so hours...which means they probably don't have enough for a science fair project, but they definitely have enough to make for very ornery children.

It is like normal around here--but escalated. To much louder decibles.

So we have that going for us.

4 comments:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Load them all up on turkey to make them sleepy then send them to bed! :)

Football Mom said...

Oh how I hate those projects! They should be called, "Parent Projects." I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of hombre who enjoys to try bran-new stuff. Currently I am making my hold solar panels. I am making it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I am using the internet as the only way to acheive this. I ran across a very brilliant website which explains how to create pv panels and so on. The website explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not really sure bout how correct the information given there is. If some people over here who had experience with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it would be great and I would highly treasure it, cauze I extremely enjoy [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. You people are great.

Anonymous said...

Hello Everybody,

i have been trying to figure out a place to begin with the Acai Berry free trial an was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on whether or not it works for dieting? So far this is the one [url=http://acaiberries.zoomblog.com/]article[/url] I've been able to come across that seemed real for what my goals are. Opinions?