Thursday, June 5, 2008

Officially Summer Break

Summer vacation. It was my favorite time of year when I was a kid, and not much has changed. It is one of the weird reasons why I am not a fan of year-round school...kids don't get a 'normal' summer break. Every kid should get summers off. It must be some sort of rite of passage, right?

I like not having school. Not having to wake kids up and drag them out of bed to get ready. Not having to worry about homework getting done, or signing notes, or getting calls from teachers because my 8 y.o. son is a talker who forgets to raise his hand, and my 10 y.o. daughter has enough of a sarcastic sense of humor and timing that she makes the kids in class laugh and not pay attention to the teacher.

Speaking of which, one would assume that it would be the boy who "innocently" rips out a huge belch in the middle of a math test and then without so much as a smirk says "Oh, sorry." But no. It was the girl. She thought she was hilarious, and apparently so did all other students within three zip codes who heard the sooo unlady-like sound. The teacher? Not so much.

I like kids sleeping in.

I like watching them run through the sprinklers in the yard.

I like them staying out later because the sun is still up at 9 p.m.

I like supplying the neighborhood with flavored ice pops.

I like sitting in the shade after working in the yard..the smell of fresh cut lawn, and lemonade.

I like the sounds of the ice cream truck.

I like water skiing--but not snow skiing, which is weird since I live in Utah near ski resorts.

I'm a fan of camping and fishing. But not the scout snow cave camping, so summer is fine.

(Apparently I'm not a fan of cold weather...)

I like not having carpools to school.

I like not having to feel guilty because I don't go volunteer in the classroom like I wish I could


I like not having to say the phrase "Go ask your Dad" when asked if I can help with math homework


There is a lot to like about summer break. Loved it as a kid, and I love it now.


And two months from now I might be singing a different tune...looking forward to sending them back to school.

But I don't think so. :)

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I completely agree! I am just like the kids and I am ready for it to be over about the beginning of May. Some people like their kids in school but when my kids are in school, am all alone. I do like some alone time but I also like the boys and their friends in the neighborhood running in and out. I like all the things you listed (cut grass, sleeping in, camping…). The hardest part of summer is getting Jim to work. He wants summers off too!