Thursday, August 28, 2008

Classics

Unneeded background info: I coach a competition soccer team (girls U14) and drive my daughter and three other girls to practice each week.

Point of the background: During these drives, undoubtedly the girls will get into an arguement about which actor is the "hottest".

Why? One of the girls is a H-U-G-E fan of Johnny Depp, and another of the girls thinks Depp is the exact opposite of hot. I think they all get a kick out of the one defending Johnny and the other bashing him openly.

Now, in all fairness for this war, the one who doesn't like Johnny Depp is a superheros fan--she likes all actors who played Superman, Spiderman, etc. And the Depp stalker thinks that anyone who would wear tights to his job needs some serious help. (She does admit though that should Johnny wear tights, she would be more than fine with that. :) )

The conversation this past Tuesday turned to "Well, if you don't like Johnny Depp (or Christopher Reeve, etc.) who DO you like?

The girls all named some guys who surprised me (guys I agreed with) and some who I had never heard of (which made me feel old).

Surprisingly, the superhero fan mentioned one of my all time favorites..and it surprised me because of the fact that this guy is older than MY time, so I didn't think an even younger generation would mention him. But in thinking it over I realized that some actors are just flat out classics. Timeless. Some come and go, but others are going to always be revered as someone a little special. Who can make hearts beat a little faster long after they have passed on.

Here he is. I don't think I need to mention his name.




Favorite movies? I love 'An Affair to Remember', 'Bringing Up Baby', 'The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer'....

I will watch any movie he is in.

Some people say that George Clooney is the new Cary Grant.

I like George just fine.

But there is no one like Cary Grant.

If you have any timeless actors you'd like to add, please leave a comment. Current actors, actors who have passed on...

I'm fairly certain my 15 y.o. daughter would add Harrison Ford, and my mom would probably add Elvis to the mix.

But scroll back up and look at that face. Remember a movie you have seen him in.

[sigh]

Classic.


6 comments:

Stacey said...

I agree. Cary Grant is one of the best. I can watch Arsenic and Old Lace over and over and laugh at his facial expressions every time.

Cindy said...

Yeah, I also agree. Russ thinks I'm silly when I notice that a Cary Grant movie is on and I immediately turn it to that show.

Jamie said...

No no no..not Elvis...Tom Welling. Tom Welling is just gorgeous.

Jamie said...

and Adrian Paul and Richard Dean Anderson and....

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ooh! I'm totally all for Colin Firth. (sigh) He's just soo awesome as Mr. Darcy. My heart just pitter-patters at the mere thought of him.

Another favorite - Vin Diesel from the Pacifier. I really have a thing for bald guys. (which is why my hubby is so darn sexy!) :)

Unknown said...

Danyelle, as you can tell by the other photo on my blog, I agree with you about the Colin Firth thing. :) I like bald guys on occassion too--but my hubby shaved his head bald a couple of years ago for Halloween and I made him grow it all back (he has a full head of hair...but that wasn't the problem, I got tired of people asking me if he was ill and going through chemo...some guys just shouldn't be bald if they don't have to be. Especially tall white guys who have little heads..(I won't admit to saying that "out loud") ;)
Mom, my superhero friend would totally agree with you on the Tom Welling vote. :)